Peter Gardett is currently Bureau Chief for Argus Media in New York City. Argus is a leading provider of price assessments, business intelligence and market data for the global energy and commodities markets.
He has served as an Adjunct Fellow at the Center for a New American Security. As Founding Editor of Breaking Energy, formerly AOL Energy, he established a leading online resource for news, community building, strategic communications, and events serving practitioners in energy politics, finance, regulation, science, and operations. Peter also has served as an Entrepreneur in Residence for the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority, where he advised startups affiliated with NYSERDA on strategic issues.
Peter has spoken on a wide range of energy issues at public events hosted by the World Energy Council, the American Council on Renewable Energy, Platts, Argus Media, Tesla, the American Coal Council, the US Association for Energy Economics, the North American Biomass Association, the North American Gas Forum and before multiple private corporate and association audiences. He is a founding board member of New York Energy Week, has appeared on television and radio and has written for Roll Call, Politico, and the Huffington Post, among others.
Peter started AOL Industry after eleven years of leading teams originating market data, analysis, and news products for the energy sector at Argus Media. He has led teams developing products for traders, companies and regulators in the global coal, power, natural gas, oil, and renewable energy sectors and has convened strategic private sector dialogues engaging the New York Mercantile Exchange and CME Group, the Commodities Futures Trading Commission, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. During his first stint at Argus, he opened that company’s New York City office and spent substantial time building a Latin American presence on behalf of the firm.
Peter attended St Andrews University, where he earned a combined bachelors and masters in modern history with a focus on economics and economic history. He lives in New York City.
Below is a standard one page version of my resume (or CV, if you are not from the US). A more interactive version of the same is available on my LinkedIn page, and references are available upon request. I have left out my contact information for security reasons, but I am easy to get ahold of via my various social media platforms.
Argus Media, Bureau Chief
From July 2014
Center for a New American Security, Adjunct Fellow
November 2013-July 2014
NYSERDA, Entrepreneur in Residence
November 2013-July 2014
Breaking Energy, Founding Editor
April 2013-December 2013
- Worked with internal deal team to sell AOL Industry to Breaking Media on behalf of AOL Ventures including legal, corporate development, operations and sales to handle competing bids and then manage deal process to close
- Managed transition of staff, technology, sponsorship, contribution community, audience and strategy from AOL to Breaking Media
- Led ad sales and sponsorship efforts for energy, defense and government sites following departure of senior sales executive
- Establishing content partnerships with other B2B outlets
AOL Energy, Managing Editor
February 2011-April 2013
- Conceived and launched the first site in the AOL Industry trade media group
- Led teams in branding, marketing, designing and implementing launch of AOL Energy, Defense and Gov sites
- Coordinated with teams across the company and with outside vendors, consultants, contributors, content partners and sponsorship community/advertisers
- Led an editorial team developing and creating content in various forms: video, long and short-form reporting, analysis, infographics, data presentation, podcasts and online social media discussions
- Initiated and shepherded to closing innovative content sponsorship deals with major energy companies, including Shell and Vestas: (Personal goal achieved of site profitability)
- Conceived and executed an events strategy built around the intersection of technology’s impact on energy, regulation and finance including events at Bloomberg offices in NY, alongside meeting of International Energy Economics Association and as part of broader AOL/Huffington Post events series
- Built brand and site awareness through speaking engagements, media appearances including TV, radio and guest columns and via editorial-led partnerships
Argus Media, Bureau Chief
November 2009-February 2011
- Managed New York City area presence, holding responsibility for relationships with employees, customers and contributors both domestic and international as well as with other global Argus offices and Argus management
- Led development of new analytical and editorial products including data and pricing sets for the energy industry with the aim of improving transparency for financial and physical trade in niche energy commodities, including work in Europe and Latin America
- Initiated coverage of three major commodity markets identified as key growth areas for the company
- Led teams expanding a conference business and supported domestic and international sales and marketing efforts
Argus Media, Senior Correspondent
August 2007-October 2009
- Founded Argus New York City office and led all New York area coverage: Initiated and broadened coverage of financial industry including investment banks, hedge funds and sovereign wealth funds
- Primary coverage and business relationship responsibility with NYMEX/CME Group and Commodity Futures Trading Commission
Argus Media, Senior Editor
May 2006-August 2007
- Led hourly, daily and weekly coverage of generation fuels markets from Washington, DC
- Developed, implemented new domestic and international publications and price indices, including new markets in Colombia and Canada
Argus Media (Earlier Positions)
Deputy Editor (January 2003-May 2006)
Editor (July 2002-January 2003)
Staff Writer (October 2000-July 2002)
St Andrews University, Scotland
Combined BA and MA awarded June 2000